Wednesday 14 August 2013

Turkey in a apple garlic brine.

Turkey in August?  Why not?  I had a extra turkey sitting in my freezer since Easter.  I was wanting to cook it in July, so I can say Christmas in July.  But I was so busy, I didn't have a chance to cook it.  Turkey is so healthy, so why not make it part of a everyday meal.  (and I love the left overs, no cooking for a few days) Why does it only have to be served during holidays.  I'm breaking tradition and making it midweek on a Wednesday.  Today I'm going to try a new brine recipe I found.

Apple Garlic Brine
  • 1 cup coarse salt
  • 2 liter of apply juice
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • enough cold water to cover turkey
  1. In my Largest pot,  dissolved 1 cup of salt in 2 cups of water and 2 liters of apple juice.  I put it on the stove and brought it up to a boil. then set aside
  2. Prepare the turkey. (take out innards, and rinse)
  3. Place turkey into the pot, and add cold water over to make sure the turkey is covered. 
  4. place in  fridge over night
  5. take out and bake in oven at 350F.  A secrest is to place turkey breast down, so all the juices will flow down, so your white meat won't be too dry and will be super juicy)
 (in my convection oven a 20lb turkey takes about 3 hours to cook.  cover with tinfoil for the first 2 hours, and take off and leave uncovered for the last hour.)


My family came over to eat it.  The turkey came out nice and juicy.   I will definitely use this recipe again.
Tomorrow's meal = Turkey sandwiches and turkey Congee. YUM.


No comments:

Post a Comment